Posted on: March 21, 2017
In branding, there is something called “brand touch.”
Brand touch is the touch point that a brand has with a person in the targeted audience. Since this newsletter is about personal branding, the touch point is typically going to be about an interaction between one person and another person, as opposed to a big brand like McDonald’s or Nike and a member of the buying public.
So if you are trying to build your personal brand, and become more well known in your community, you need to remember these things:
- Every interaction you have with your targeted audience adds up to your brand personality.
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar all matter. The fact that you pay attention to detail is a reflection that you pay attention to the details in your business and in your life. You take care of the people who matter.
- You coordinate the look and feel of your brand so there is consistency. Just like people look at the Nike swoosh and recognize that it means “Just do it,” they look at the PR Maven logo and know that I’m going to be talking about personal branding, right? My brand might not have as large an audience as Nike, but I make an effort to have a coordinated, consistent outreach program with this e-newsletter every month, and ongoing social media posts on Facebook (remember to like The PR Maven, by the way!).
- You make an effort to introduce people to one another who have things in common, and who will benefit from knowing each other, but who also know you. This is one of the things I enjoy the most about having a large brand network—making introductions so people can build relationships with each other and build their own networks.
- Ultimately, having a large network of people who know, like and trust you is what a personal brand is all about, so consistently reaching out with touch points that are consistent, likable, and trustworthy is what it’s all about when it comes to building a personal brand.
How have you benefited from building your personal brand? Please write back to me and let me know. If you do, I will send you an autographed copy of my book, PR WORKS! and publish your story in the next edition of this newsletter, PERSONALLY SPEAKING!